History of the building of the Russian Embassy in Denmark
The building of the Embassy of the Russian Federation in Denmark in Kristianiagade 5 is built by a large Danish entrepreneur and founder of the country's first factory for the production of margarine Otto Mønsted. William Dahlerup, Danish follower of the Italian Renaissance style in architecture was invited as an architect. He also is a co-architect of the unique buildings of the Danish Royal Theater, the Hotel "D'Angleterre", and the State Museum of Art in Copenhagen. In 1899 the construction of the palace cost Mønsted half a million Danish kroner.
In 1934, the widow of the "margarine King" sold the mansion for 265 000 Danish kroner to the Countess Musse Scheel - the last private owner of the house. She was known as an eccentric woman, actress, the owner of the film studios, passionate traveler and fan of animals. Contemporaries recalled that in the yard of her "Palace" she kept a hen-house and even sold eggs to neighbors in the district. And in the lobby of the building near the stairs to the second floor, she placed two stuffed bears.
Musse Scheel was born in the castle Hvidøre in Klampenborg, which, ironically, was purchased by the Russian Empress Maria Feodorovna (Princess Dagmar) and her sister Queen Alexandra of England in 1915 as a residence during the visits to Denmark. It was the last home of the Empress, after her final return to her homeland in 1919. After the death of Maria Feodorovna in 1928, the villa was bought by the previous owner.
During the Nazi occupation of Denmark by Germany during the Second World War the mansion housed the headquarters of the organization "Northern Society", which promoted the cultural cooperation between Germany and the Nordic countries.
In 1950, the contract was made on the rental of the mansion by the Soviet Union for 20 000 kroner a year. In 1982, this building, as well as near territory on the street Kristianiagade, 3 (consular section) and building on the street Bergensgade, 11 (school) were given to the Soviet side, on a reciprocal basis, free of charge for the needs of the Embassy of the USSR(Russia) for a term of 70 years (until December 31, 2051).